Bad Admin

Register then introduce yourself here!

70 posts in this topic

Hi, my name is Auris Arrectibus (prick up ears).

I have studied classical languages Latin and Greek (Attic, Ionic/ Aelic), history and litterature at the University of Amsterdam. Twenty years ago, that is.

Working as a "improvement consultant in ITC" the only translations I make are to sql for business data analysis. 

My love of the classics never stopped. 

It started when I was just a very young boy walking around in Ravenna with my father, telling me amazing stories about the romans.

I'm very intrigued by the history of Galla Placidia and the period of the Theodosian Dynasty.

And I like to tell stories about Plato and Homer to my little daughter, just like my father did.

Most summer holidays or short stays abroad we spent in Greece, Turkey, France or Italy: There is so much to see: parts of the Via Flaminia,

Rome, Naples area, Bevagna, Paestum, Arles, Nimes, Orange, Samos, Crete, Istanbul, Troy were my favourits.
And of course: Ravenna. Even in wintertime.

Maybe everyone could tell a little more to introduce themselves,

Auris

Metella and Bad Admin like this

Thanks Auris.

I guess I'm from Oregon--I live there now & so does family--but I grew up an Army brat living all over. Did a loooong stint in the Army & then federal service as a civilian right smack in the belly of the beast Washington, DC.

I received a history degree then went to law school at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill at different points. I had no choice but become a Tar Heels basketball fan.

I'm old, I remember a time when friends had album collections (those vinyl discs hipsters have rediscovered) & you'd go through them to see what they had as you drank a beer and did some 'other' stuff.

Auris Arrectibus likes this

I guess most members here now me already from UNRV and other boards where I'm registered under the same name as Medusa (or sometimes also Medusa Gladiatrix).

Bad Admin likes this

Sigh .... OK.    I've worked at bio hazard level  II lab cleared by the FBI - and loved that job ....  Micro-biology.      BUT gave that up to live in the country and now I am freelance editor.

Lived in Italy for 3 years as an Air Force Brat when I was too young to appreciate it .... 

I think people should earn the right to vote and we should bring back chain gangs so that prisioners work during their time (not whipping them and such - just get them out there working)

Auris Arrectibus likes this

Thanks, Auris Arrectibus: my group plays a song called Prick up your Ears, so I assume you’re a fan of the Coritanian Joe Orton who wrote the play.

As an adolescent I studied and promptly forgot all my Latin after the age of 18, am a teacher of French and came back to classical studies via Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris and Dawkins: and also through a themed reading project of mine going from Gilgamesh, to The Iliad, The Odyssey, The Aeneid, Beowulf, The Divine Comedy, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, The Canterbury Tales, Paradise Lost, The Pilgrim’s Progress and Ulysses.

The so-called New Atheists’ critique and dialogue prompted me to return to the original Judeo-Christian sources, the OT, the NT, the Deutero-canonical works, the Apocrypha and the Patristic writings to such an extent that, although I do not have any of the Biblical languages, I do have some ‘feel’ for the development of Judeo-Christian thought.  And a great puzzle in all this, like a work of detective fiction, is whether the man Jesus really existed.

But I need to approach the historical period from a different and refreshingly pagan point of view: from the purely Greco-Roman sources as opposed to the semi-Hellenized early Christian (and even late Jewish) apologists.

Slaínte.

Auris Arrectibus and Metella like this

For some reason, possibly because I have been a member of UNRV for so long, as many members are UNRV refugees like myself I forgot the need to introduce myself on this new forum.

My name is Ian Hughes.  For anybody wishing for more information on me, I have just created an link on the 'external blogs' page (http://classicalhistory.invisionzone.com/index.php/blogs/?type=all&filter=external&sort_key=blog_last_edate)

Any questions, please feel free to ask!

For some reason, possibly because I have been a member of UNRV for so long, as many members are UNRV refugees like myself I forgot the need to introduce myself on this new forum.

Any questions, please feel free to ask!

Ian: Have you read Adrian Murdoch's "The Last Roman: Romulus Augustus and the Decline of the West"?

If so, what did you think? (I think it is a good book.)

Keep healthy, amicus. Let me know if you ever come out to Las Vegas. We'll take care of you.

guy also known as gaius

I was planning to read it over the last couple of months, but obviously I haven't had chance.  I'll be reading it in the next week or two and will let you know.

I'll do my best to keep healthy, but at the moment it's out of my hands!

If I ever get to LV, I'll let you know! :)

Hello.  I'm a longtime friend of Artimi's, who encouraged me to join.  I'm glad she did, and glad you admitted me.

I started out to become an archaeologist, realized that because I don't like camping and hate mornings, it might be better to pursue another line of work.  So, I taught history for awhile at the junior high level (loved that age--so beautifully up front and obnoxious).  Then I switched back to computer programming.  At least they were no longer using Holerith cards by that point.  (Dropping a COBOL deck is no fun.)  After realizing that I can't stand meetings and group projects, I went to law school.  Then I actually got a job and kept it for some years.  In a setting where there were few meetings and no group projects. 

A zillion years of Catholic education required me to learn bunches of Latin.  Lately I've discovered that some history happened AFTER 1500.  (Who knew?)  So I've been reading a lot.

I started out in potato engineering... first as a picker in harsh weather and dust. Potatoes aren't as nice as they were in manual picking days, due to picker's reluctance to touch a spud with a slimy rotten spot (even though paid by volume). Now they are picked mechanically, and *some* rotten ones are removed later. Try peeling a potato or inspecting your fries... often icky dark spots where the rot dried out.

I realized the need for advancement when a swim instructor said I couldn't float well due to "heavy bones". I knew it was from pounds of farm dust in my lungs, so became a laborer in a potato processing plant. It ranged from shoveling mashed potato overflow back into a trough to hosing off overflow of peels and acid from a peeling machine. I battled nanny-state regulations about wearing rubber boots because they filled up with dilute acid vs tennis shoes which I could continually blast clean with a tilt of the hose.

So maybe I should switch to an intellectual career, and followed an anthropology track at school. Hmm, my hemisphere has mainly austere hunter and gatherer archeology and cultures to study, and I didn't even realize that classical archeology was a career path... sounded too fun and interesting, so must be done by volunteers? Anyway, at the last moment I added a more utilitarian computer degree.

Then disaster struck... I was accepted for an odd sounding computer job that turned out to be a too good match, with amazing mentoring by national experts. Like a cave fish in a "safe" environment I atrophied away abilities, like to assertively steer projects or people or my own career path. Rot and burnout set in with absurd hours in kind of a tech priesthood, and I left short of the time needed for a golden parachute or whatever.

Looking for some affordable catchup on leisure activities, I settled on a trip primarily to France just because it looked (in total) $50 cheaper than one primarily in Italy. Oh, my brief stop in Italy just killed me to leave! Not my first trip to Italy, but the ancient Roman stuff finally spoke to me more than Egyptian/Greek/Buddhist monuments ever did.

So I started dabbling in some financial stuff which left me moderately free to travel. Now my amateur sideline has become survival of the fittest, with every day bringing near disasters to cope with. I feel just like the walled city of Rome hearing daily news of Hannibal's latest rampage around the peninsula. But steely resistance to setbacks and cool assessment of risk seems to win, just like for Rome! Once again I can hardly break away for travel, but am content to dip in here and other vicarious vehicles.

Metella likes this

Hello everyone!

I'm also a UNRV veteran (known there simply as Aurelia) and have recently found this space through Virgil. I was away from discussion forums for a couple of years and am only now slowly making a comeback. It is really nice to "see" some old faces here! I still frequent UNRV but miss seeing the old regulars over there, hence my visit to this forum. It's a nice initiative.

I'm originally from Brazil but have moved around quite a bit. Apart from South America, I've lived in different countries in Africa and Europe. While at university in South Africa, I studied English, French, Italian, and Greek & Roman literature and thought. I also have an MA in International Relations. I've always been interested in history, particularly ancient civilisations. As a child, my dream was to become an archaeologist and I still kick myself sometimes for not pursuing this dream. Instead I became a linguist (not that there's anything wrong with that) and worked mostly as a project manager for different NGOs and consultancies. I'm taking a break from that now and slowly going back to my linguistic roots (working occasionally as a translator and language teacher). We'll see what the future brings...

Metella and Bad Admin like this

Hello all,

Have been following this forum for quite a while, but totally forgot to introduce myself.

I was on UNRV under the same name, and as interested in Rome as ever.

Next week I will be visiting the city of Rome for the first time, with a visit to the Coloseum and Ostia Antica among other things, can't wait :)

Bad Admin and Metella like this

Next week I will be visiting the city of Rome for the first time, with a visit to the Coloseum and Ostia Antica among other things, can't wait :)

Maybe you should start a thread about Rome travel advice... for instance walking the Appian Way which is pedestrianized on Sundays. Italy is full of catch-22's for the random wanderer, such as with impossible closure times and crowds... so it can be helpful hearing how to best navigate certain things.

Metella likes this

Hello everyone

I am Jaybex and I am also a Rome-Aholic, currently studying Classical studies .

I live on the South coast of England (a few miles from Fishbourne Roman Palace). I am also a complete newbie to forums.

I look forward to reading your posts and articles.

Hey! I'm glad to see a new face (uhm, avatar) around here! :) I hope that you'll enjoy the boards, and feel free to post at any time no matter how new, unused to the setting or confused you feel. And all comments and questions are most welcome, I can promise you that you'll get a happy reply to all posts!

Hello - my name is Julia.  I'm yet another Roma-holic and I live in the north of England. Visited Rome for the 4th time in May - we love it.  Looking forward to 'meeting' you all.