CaesarNovus

American tourists caught with Pompeii relic

8 posts in this topic

Two American tourists were caught at Rome’s Fiumicino airport with a 30kg artefact from the ruins of Pompeii stashed in their luggage. The artefact, which would have adorned a building at the site near Naples, was discovered on Monday morning in the tourists’ luggage in their rental car.

Earlier this year, an American girl in Florence was caught urinating in public, just months after a fellow US citizen broke a Renaissance statue in the Tuscan city.

In March, a Canadian tried to rob a piece of Rome’s Colosseum, while just last month a Frenchman and two Italian women were caught having an orgy in Pompeii.

http://www.thelocal.it/20140916/american-tourists-caught-with-pompeii-relic

aeab949bb3527acb34c6b49161d098798e464ce2

There are a lot of people who believe in public sex, or more properly, spontaeneous sex in in public places where the excitement is generated by the possibility of being caught. Urinating in public seems more like an act of biological desperation. The other stuff is painfully embarrassing. I'll bet that the people who tried to steal the marble piece are people with very upright prententions to being respectable citizens, and a criminal pathology which they only expose to their intimate circle.

spontaeneous sex in in public places where the excitement is generated by the possibility of being caught. Urinating in public seems more like an act of biological

A deeper search suggests Pompeii has a regular problem with folks intentionally invading fragile frescoed red light areas to have sex (BTW Mary Beard disputes that there was any more than 1 for-sure brothel).

Also Florence seems fed up with the drunken excess of the thousands of (overwhelmingly female) US study abroad students: http://tuscantraveler.com/2013/florence/burnt-to-a-crisp-american-study-abroad-students-drinking-drun/. The complaint in question was brought by taxi drivers whose cars she was squatting between, probably with umpteen bathrooms just steps away.

images.jpeg

Actually taxi drivers urinate against a wall about a block from where I type, in a region full of public bathrooms (with slightly less convenient parking). Reminds me I should walk by there more often and scream at them. In a short walk thru Amsterdam I noticed a non-rowdy type peel off from a waiting company of well dressed friends to urinate at the closed doorway of a fancy store, still in sight of the throngs. I guess that scene of a Canadian cheerfully squatting to take a dump on a busy Amsterdam sidewalk in the movie Eurotrip was satirizing a real trend.

But it's all in context of respecting local values. Nobody was offended in a Copenhagen park full of nude/seminude suntanners when I saw one young laughing women trying to hold her dog as a modesty shield while she squat to urinate (years ago anyway). But as a visitor in Italy I was a bit upset by local women who use a certain Roman monument on Via Appia as toilet (dog walkers leave piles of tissue behind it).

Bad Admin and Eupheresthai like this

They seem to be continuing a tradition that goes back to the Dark Ages!

Plundering ancient sites for stone work and statues is certainly a tradition in Britain - an old 18th century pub in England was partially built from stonework from a nearby Roman site for instance - and that's just one example from hundreds. It's just a shame that stuff like this still goes on in 21st century.

I don't know what the conventions are in Italy now. Here in America you almost always have to buy something to use a business' facilities, and they only allow it if you look decent. The homeless have make due (no pun) with the public library, or back alleys. I did the Eurail thing for several years in the Eighties, but since I have a lot of family in Europe, my sense of what I owed the community around me as a guest was different from many other young people out on their own in a foreign country with money in their pockets. Decimus' pub sounds interesting. I can even go with the practice to a certain extent since it is practical recycling. What really gets me though is the plundering of graves for a few articles to sell. This is currently going on wholesale in the Andes area if South America. The destruction if knowledge and heritage is grevious.

Bad Admin likes this

Reminds me I should walk by there more often and scream at them. In a short walk thru Amsterdam I noticed a non-rowdy type peel off from a waiting company of well dressed friends to urinate at the closed doorway of a fancy store, still in sight of the throngs. I guess that scene of a Canadian cheerfully squatting to take a dump on a busy Amsterdam sidewalk in the movie Eurotrip was satirizing a real trend.

People who urinate in public in Amsterdam (at doorways) are tourists, who really think they could do anything in this beautiful city of Amsterdam. The media back home, like the movie Eurotrip tells them that, unfortunately. Not very civilized. Locals and City Hall are horrified by these publications, satire or not. Hopelfully this image of the city could be changed soon, because our values are not to live in a public sewer.

Sure, just after closing time of the pubs one could see (a local) urinate in a canal. In the middle of the night. No big problem with that in my opionion, although police will fine the ones who do. And that's risky business, anyway. An average of three men every two months won't survive and drown. Police find them weeks or months later with their fly still open. Mostly tourists are the ones who won't survive, the quays are steep and slippery.

Antoher annoying trend that does harm to monuments and the nice view: Padlocks on bridges by lovers (again tourists?). Don't know who invented that one. Okay, maybe at expected places like at a railing beneath the supposed balcony of Romeo and Julia in Verona. The railing is put there especially for that purpose. But at 18-th century bridges in Amsterdam? That's stupid.

Auris Arrectibus

Eupheresthai likes this