Metella

Curia Hostilia

11 posts in this topic

Speaking about Republic times .....

Does anyone have a good layout map of the Rostum, Curia and Forum at this time ?     And was the Curia enclosed with a roof ?      Would a trial be postponed due to bad weather ? 

Any good sources on trials held and such ?

And I have found conflicting info about new consuls - one says they were sworn in Dec 13 ... another Jan 1  ....   anyone have a good source for this ceremony?

I hope you guys enjoy answering my questions - as I have more questions than contribution to facts ....   I hope you look at it as a way to show off all you know!   :lol:

First a small map : http://www.rome-roma.net/rome_roma/cartes/rome_forumrepublicain_shep.jpg

The senate was certainly roofed in the early first century BCE since Saturninus was put to death in december 100 BCE by people taking the roof tiles of the Curia and throwing them on Saturninus and his followers. 

About trials, you could look at Cicero if it was early enough for you, 

On the consuls, you would have a difference between election date and entry of function date, which might explain the issue you have. Also in some circumstances the date could move, so if your sources talk about different periods or different consuls even you might have this issue. 

The Curia building still exists, as Bad Admin pointed out. It's a pretty non descript building in the Forum which survived as a church. There's a famous painting of the Alta Tadema type which is always put into schoolbooks of the interior, which shows a curved arc of rows of seats with curved backs, but I 've been told that that detail is entirely suppostitious, that we done actually have any evidence how the interior looked.

The late Archaeologist and artist, Peter Connolly, made this reconstruction of the inside of the Curia (Julia - the last version of the building) from his book The Ancient City. It's well worth getting the book if you haven't got it.

5455021934_0502cbfe45_z.jpg

Eupheresthai and Bad Admin like this

Wasn't the Curia completely rebuilt by Diocletian, like most of this part of the forum? Possibly rebuilt as it was, but it is not the original building.

Also, I doubt the Republican Curia would have an opus sectile floor.