Klingan

Greek graffiti

16 posts in this topic

Well, I enjoy the thread on Roman graffiti greatly, but I've always missed the genre in Greek archaeology and history. Does anyone know of any Greek graffiti (Athenian ostraca excluded)?

Well there are of course the poems written in greek by Hadrian's wife party on the coloss of Memnon, and I suspect one may find funny things on greek ostraka from Egypt, but no graffity jumps to my mind. I'll have to check my epigraphy manuals. 

Hi Klingan,

Yes there are.

Have to dig deep into my university stuff.

Although Romans were more familiar to scribe on anything they got their hands to. Give me a moment for research.

Auris arrectibus

Hi Klingan,

Found what I was searching for. We had a course on "Graffiti & dipinti".

See Mabel Lang.

We only had to translate the "Love and hate names" part.

I remember there were a lot of words like pugh (bottom) -like kallipugh (beautiful bottom)- and katapugon (horny)

Sosiaς katapugon oς fushn o grafsaς – Sosias is horny, says this writer

Auris Arrectibus

Eupheresthai likes this

Greek graffiti recently found (Febr. 2014) in Egypt: 1,700-year-old school with Greek writings on its walls (pictured) in the ancient town of Trimithis, Egypt

Text on the wall includes quotations from The Odyssey, which tells a take of ancient drug use, when Helen of Troy gives her dinner guests a drug which ‘takes away grief and anger and brings forgetfulness of every ill."

See: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2557632/Ancient-Egyptian-SCHOOL-unearthed-1-700-year-old-lesson-behave-walls.html

Auris Arrectibus

Eupheresthai likes this

I was lead to believe by Dover, that katapugon means something more specific than just " horny."

Oh it does!  I've been writing a few articles on a similar word. most dirty Greek is censored when translated.

I'd love to read more on the subject, if the articles are available? Believe it or not that issue has become a stumbling block in race relations and education in the United States, with an effeminate African American teacher being beat up and irrepairably crippled by being thrown down a flight of stairs in the city where I live, by African American children.

Hi Eupheresthai and Klingan,

Etymology of the composed word katapugon (horny) is:

kata - downwards, this preposition it gives a direction.

pugh - bottom

So, if "horny" is not specific enough, I would translate this with something like "ass-focused".

Don't know if there is a vulgair best-fit synonym to that.

Maybe someone at this forum could help us out?

Auris Arrectibus

Eupheresthai likes this

Hi Eupheresthai and Klingan,

Etymology of the composed word katapugon (horny) is:

kata - downwards, this preposition it gives a direction.

pugh - bottom

So, if "horny" is not specific enough, I would translate this with something like "ass-focused".

Don't know if there is a vulgair best-fit synonym to that.

Maybe someone at this forum could help us out?

Auris Arrectibus

Did some googling: Katapugon is related to anal sex. That didn't surprise me.

Giving someone the "middle finger" seems to be a common sign in greek comedies as a invitation to anal sex.

This sign is therefore also called the "katapugon".

That I didn't knew before: http://1000words1000days.com/2013/06/day-521-the-only-sign-language-most-of-us-know/

Auris Arrectibus

Eupheresthai, Klingan and Bad Admin like this

"Presenting haunches" is an uncommon but direct phrase, usually related to animal sex. "Offering hole" and "puckering up" and "winking" also come to mind. It wouldn't surprise me if an adequate one word definition might be found in the Urban Dictionary online.

Did some googling: Katapugon is related to anal sex. That didn't surprise me.

Giving someone the "middle finger" seems to be a common sign in greek comedies as a invitation to anal sex.

This sign is therefore also called the "katapugon".

That I didn't knew before: http://1000words1000days.com/2013/06/day-521-the-only-sign-language-most-of-us-know/

Auris Arrectibus

That is correct, Katapugon has to do with (passive) anal sex. The important bit is that it was not shameful to engage in anal sex or homosexual (there's actually not even a word for homosexuality in ancient Greek or Latin) as long as you were the penetrating part. The "receiving" actor, on the other hand, was considered a female (and we all know how horribly misogynist Greek society was)....

Moreover, sorry for being absent for a while, I've been off the net for most of the holidays. Anyways, I have on article on the matter in Swedish which is finished, a coming extended abstract for a conference talk IN BABESCH and a coming full size article. I'll be glad to spread them as soon as I can!

According to Dover it was considered shameful to be the passive partner after a certain age had been reached, usually around the time marriage. Greek homosexuality had a social, political and pedagogical function, but it was primarily popularized as a means of population control, quite consciously so. My books are in storage, so I can't dig out the reference. Homosexuality, especially among males allowed for marriage to be delayed until civic maturity had been attained, thereby decreasing the actual number of breeding years.